When considering which product to buy to improve the air quality in your home, office or cave dwelling there are many factors to consider. There are air conditioners that filter the air, water fountains that purify the air, indoor plants that remove toxins and there are also hepa filters, nebulizing diffusers, beeswax candles, saline nasal sprays, sub-lingual immunotherapy… Or should one give up on all these confusing alternatives and just live in a bubble? Hmm…
You may ask what is the best way to release essential oils that can help relieve allergies? When you were sick your Mother may have told you to put your head over boiling water (perhaps with a few drops of eucalyptus or tea tree oil) to help relieve symptoms of a blocked nose and a sore throat. This would increase the humidity of the air you breath and purify it helping your immune system to overcome your cold. Ultrasonic diffusers work on a similar principle.
They work to release a fine mist into the air by using high frequency (ultrasonic) sound waves above the upper limit of human hearing. This process disperses the essential oils and water that are used in the diffuser and humidifies the air. This fine mist works to ionise the air, in turn removing impurities and allergens.
The refreshing effects of ultrasonic diffusers include:
- Being surrounded by purified air
- Odour removal
- Moisturising the skin
- Soothing and moisturising airways
- Some also claim that ultrasonic diffusers can relieve stress, anxiety, headaches and fatigue with links to serotonin in the brain.
Ultrasonic Diffuser Vrs Essential Oil Burner
What is the difference between an Essential Oil Burner and an Ultrasonic Diffuser? They both humidify the air, they both use essential oils to scent the air helping to relieve allergies, and some candle diffusers with beeswax candles can also work to ionize the air just like their ultrasonic counterparts.
So how can one justify the extra initial expense of an Ultrasonic Diffuser? For one essential oil burner cooks the essential oils that are used. The health benefits derived from cooked essential oils are lessened as the chemical structure of the oils has changed. A second benefit of ultrasonic diffusing is that it doesn’t require as much essential oils to be used as the candle diffuser and you don’t need to continually buy candles for it. There is also no light emitted from an ultrasonic diffuser, no soot released from the candle and no danger of a fire in your home, office or cave dwelling.
When investing in a quality Ultrasonic Diffuser there are a few things to look out for:
- Silent operation
- Running time. Whether you would like it to run for 8 hours or 18 hours at a time you should ensure the diffuser you buy will run for that length of time. It should show the running time on the packet, or on its eBay description.
- You need to think about what area will the ultrasonic diffuser be used in as different diffusers cater for larger or smaller spaces.
- Durability and ease of cleaning
- Aesthetic appeal. Will it look good in your lounge room, massage parlour or Neolithic style cave?
CAUTION use discretion when operating Ultrasonic Diffusers. Pet bats and dolphins may mistake the ultrasonic sounds for other animals, danger approaching, or worse yet mating calls. Tee hee!